Thursday 12 May 2011

Staying in a Franciscan Friary

Since Monday 9th May, I've been staying in Alnmouth Friary which is a small community of 6 Anglican Franciscan brothers. The day begins with Morning Prayer at 7am, followed by personal prayer time, silent breakfast at 8.05am until 8.45am when silence ends. Nothing is then timetabled until noon, Midday Prayer, followed by Holy Communion at 12.15pm and lunch at 1pm.
Then tea and biscuits at 4.30pm, Evening Prayer at 5pm followed by personal prayer, supper at 6.15pm, and Compline (Night Prayer) at 9pm.
Of course this is all voluntary and you can attend or miss whatever you like (giving notice re meals).

I only attended Mass once, which was pretty straightforward. However the community is Anglo Catholic and so includes some prayer to the Virgin Mary at each service. I was expecting this and so just let it go by me as it were, but it would not suit everyone.

The house has stunning views of the sea, being high above the shore. In the early 19th century Alnmouth was cut in two by a devastating flood which was so strong that the river Aln carved a new channel to the sea, sweeping away the lower part of the village in the process. It now requires a 3 mile walk avoiding dangerous estuary and tidal waters and saltmarsh, to get to the remnant of the old church on Church Hill across the river, just 300 yards as the crow flies! I have not done as much walking as I intended, being here for only 3 full days.
Tomorrow, Friday 13th, I'm setting off as early as possible on a five hour drive north to Oban in Argyll on the west coast of Scotland. I'm staying overnight and then catching the ferry to Mull just before noon. All being well I hope to arrive on Iona at around 2.15pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment